Monday, January 14, 2008

Interns! That time of year!


I am getting 100s of calls and emails this week (and while I was away) inquiring about doing an internship with MasterPiece Weddings, and while I love your enthusiam. I know how busy our firm is, I don't need 100 people to intern for me this semester. It wouldn't benefit any of us.

So I am looking for 3 very special interns to work with MasterPiece Weddings.
There are some rules that apply. You must be getting school credit for the internship. You must have communication skills, you must be interested in wedding consulting. You must be available to work on weekends (including Friday).

As I was typing this - my dear friend Terrica at Fabuluxe had written this last week, and it's perfect!!! Just perfect! So if you are interested in interning or working for us, please see the below!

_______________________________________________________


A lot of my blog and pro friends have written about this– about how to apply, or inquire about a position with a wedding planner. I never ever ever in the history of fabulousness thought I would have to write something like this… but here it goes (and of course, I write with all the Terricaisms that bring you joy, luxelings).

So…Why I won’t hire you:

1.)You use my contact form. You are not a client. You are not a prospect. You are not getting married. Why are you using the contact form? It would be awfully nice if you took the time to research to see if I had an employment page, an HR email or the like.

2.)Your FIRST communication with me is poorly written. If your email looks like one of the LOLCats wrote it, it ends up in my trash bin. Period. I can teach you the ways of a wedding planner. I do not, however, teach grammar, spelling or English. This is an internship. Not an early literacy program.

3.)Your first communication with me is your resume…and ONLY your resume. Honey, that’s just rude. This shows me immediately that you have no imagination and personality. Sure, I have enough for both of us, but I don’t want to share. It’s BYOP.

4.)Three letters: T.M.I. I don’t care to know about where you were last night, who you were with and what you were doing. I’m not your girlfriend. I don’t want to hear about or see (two words My Space…Yes, I check it!) how plastered you were for spring break. If I can google you and find you in a bikini or some other compromising position– trust and believe that my clients can too. NEXT.

5.)You call me and the first words out of your mouth are: “Are you hiring?” Again, rude. Even if I was, I wouldn’t tell you. Not the way to apply. You have to wow me, sell me, make me love you. Playing 20 questions is not the way to do it.

6.)You know nothing about me or my company. If you can’t tell me anything about my business, how can you tell my clients? Do your research. I’m not asking for a book report, but at least show me that you can fit in as opposed to blindly sending out your resume.

7.) You tell me this is your DREAM. I hate this. I’m not looking for dreamers. I’m looking for someone who can work hard, laugh hard, and make it happen. You want romance and happy flowers, get a Disney movie.

8.) You’re a wimp. (Couldn’t really find a better way to word it, sorry). Let me put it like this: On the outside, you see the beautiful bride, handsome groom, proud parents happy guests…good food, awesome music, beautiful decor, and gorgeous venue. The inside: timelines, 12 hour work days, climbing stairs, ladders, putting floors together, moving tables, bustling dresses, crying flower girls, unpaid vendors, bridesmaids, drunk groomsmen, tired feet, and that’s only the half of it. If you’re worn out just reading that, we need not go any further. Just stick to the blog.

9.) You have no sense of style or decorum. I sell style. Plain and simple. I sell style and security. When we meet, I need to see how you would meet with my clients and vendors. So yes, honey, I’m checking you out: your clothes, your hair, your makeup, your accessories….all of it. Do your clothes fit properly? No bulges, pulling buttons, tight clothes, cleavage, etc. How well are you put together? Do you look like you stepped out of a magazine, or that you should be hit with one? Have you come professionally dressed or could I mistake you for hanging out at the mall with your friends? Are you personable adn witty? Are you shy and reserved? Are you crass and loud? First impressions are not just everything, they are the ONLY THING.

10.) You think you can do it because you saw it on TV or planned your own wedding. I’m not looking for a human TiVo machine. I don’t need you to spew every line from The Wedding Planner or the hottest new wedding show. That’s like you going on a medical rotation and telling the doctors about what you saw on Grey’s Anatomy. I’m glad you’ve planned your wedding. It was fun, wasn’t it? Now do 12 simultaneously! (Why are you crying????) Realize that you have to bring something to the table, as well as being ready to learn and do some grunt work.


21 comments:

Liene Stevens said...

You're back! I am interested in learning more about the book you mentioned on my blog. :)

Melissa DiStefano said...

I am back! I tried to call you, when you have a moment can you call me back???

Anonymous said...

I miss the days of being your intern! Sore feet and bags under the eyes the next day... ahh, the good 'ol days!

Melissa DiStefano said...

Oh Brittany- you have no idea!!! The emails I have gotten are just horendous! I am going to have to email them you! And them came after I posted this!

limoncelloSTYLE said...

people ask me all the time why i don't want to be a planner. i try to explain that planning isn't all festive ribbon, and happy bridal parties. maybe i should show them this :)

*Michelle said...

Holy Cow. That might be the most entertaining thing I have read in a while. Also really glad you posted it. While it will hopefully weed out some of the intern interest for you, its also helpful information for anyone looking for a job in any field.

Kathy said...

this is fabulous! the only thing i think it's missing is 8 page resumes!

thanks for the laugh! i miss doing weddings, sometimes meetings and confrences can get a bit boring.

Anonymous said...

wow...you are rude and and obnoxious....i feel bad for the poor people who thought working for you would advance their careers

Melissa DiStefano said...

Dear Anonymous,

You obviously aren't very thorough, because as I mentioned in my post, I didn't write this. It was written by and as such linked to the person who wrote it.

If you are looking for a job as an event planner, we are fairly detail oriented. And as such, would have expected you to know that I didn't write this post.

Please take care to be nice when you comment, as you never know (especially if you insulting someone)

Obviously you aren't a wedding planner, or you would have known that I didn't write this article. Although, I do whole-heartly agree with everything that was said.

I hope you are happy in your career.

Deidre Gray said...

I love this !! Looks like we all have the same issue. This truly made me laugh just to know that someone knows how I feel!!

Sheniiquka said...

I am reading this from Australia. I am re-searching bridal internships. This is great, not rude and obnoxious at all. It is honest. Thank you. It has helped.

Anonymous said...

Like the blog says. You cant be a wimp. I have delt with horrible brides and im only 15. How is someone supossed to handel a difficult job like this if the plan on crying every time they get a little criticism? Its sad. A job like this you have to be focused and hard working. This is a most difficult job and people need to realize it. Its someone elses day. Not yours.

Jessica Birchmier said...

Hello. I'm a junior in high school and was wondering I if could get some tips on how to become a wedding planner. I'm really interested in that career and I believe it would be a great match for me as a career. Thanks! Jessica

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love this post. I was actually on the internship hunt last spring (I did get one), but I think anyone who is trying to get a job or internship needs to read this!

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! Sounds like you would be LOADS of fun to work with since you obviously have a good personality!
P.S. This is exactly what a future intern needs to know! SO helpful!

Anonymous said...

Ive worked as a Stage Manager (a.k.a event planner for theatre)for 9 years and people tell me I'd make a good wedding planner, the two jobs appear similar based off the intern requirements listed. Sounds like an exciting challenge.

brittney said...

I have read through this and i agree with everything that you have to say about hard work . I have wanted to be a wedding planner since i was 6. I am in an industry that really makes things harder, and i know the stress of needing things to get done . I am looking for an internship and possibly a full time job . Please let me know where i should begin .

Thank you

Annalisa C said...

I came across your blog as I was looking for companies to apply for internships with. As I read your 10 pieces of advice, I found it very entertaining and enlightening. I believe that these pieces of advice can not only help people applying for wedding planning internships, but internships in any field! Great work!

Unknown said...

Dearest Madame DiStefano,
Would have LOVED to work with you, you sound great even blogging! I can't even begin to imagine you in person. Unfortunately I am not even close to being in the same area, but I thought I'd give you a shout out.
Keep up the good work!
Cheers, Monica.

Anonymous said...

Hi, are you still looking for an intern?
If you are please contact me by emaile ( ematarcea@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

It is truly a great and helpful piece of information.
I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us.
Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Jaipur Wedding Planners

Blogging tips