Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Feeding your Wedding Vendors

Okay, so the picture really isn't what I am talking about... but that is what happens when I am starving after a
21 hour day. Before we crack open the wine.

This question has come up quite a bit about feeding your vendors, do you, should you, why? And I am here to answer the questions you have.

Firstly, one of the main reasons I bring this up, is that recently a Mother of the Bride called me to ask me which meal I'd prefer - because she wanted to make sure I ate. But she wasn't planning on feeding any of the other vendors.

Here were my concerns. The photographer and videographer would be working a 10 hour day. The DJ would be working a 5 hour day, for this event we were working with the bride for a 21 hour stint of time. And please know, I am not complaining, I love my job! But here's my point.

We pack with us protein bars, snacks, water, etc. But when the reception comes around, we have a teensy bit of down, the photographer can only take so many pictures of people shoveling food and drinks in their faces, and drinking. Plus, you probably wouldn't want pictures of that anyway - and while working a 10 hour day you probably want to feed your photographer so they stay upright. Keeping in mind, what their contract states, they may request a hot meal. And usually the venue or catering staff, have a vendor meal selections - chicken fingers and french fries work too.

The same goes for us, we aren't picky, but it is nice to sit down for 3 minutes (literally 3 minutes) and eat something once we know that you (the bride, groom, parents of the bride and groom) are being attended to. Our team usually eats in shifts, so I know someone from my team always has eyes on the bride and groom to know they are taken care of.

Our rule is that anyone working more than 4 or 5 hours in a row, should have the ability to eat something if at all possible. I'm not saying go crazy, but if you were working 5 hours or more, you'd want to eat, right?

What are you thinking, when it comes to feeding your vendors?

6 comments:

Lissa (The Wedding Bistro at Bellenza) said...

Very good points to keep in mind when planning a wedding!

Alex Jae said...

I planned on wedding them, I had that factored in all along, but my big question is, should I set aside a whole table for them, or what? I'm having a seating chart at my wedding to avoid past family drama but I don't know what to do about my vendors and seating.

Shena - Platinum Digital Video said...

I can tell you where we have eaten quickly.... and these places all work:

Caterer break room

Small hotel conference room set aside for vendors with basic linens, water, glasses and silver ware so we can pop back there if we need a drink of water.

A table where the cocktail hour was previously and is now empty.

A table in the reception hall.

With the guests.

Outside on the patio.

Most of these dinner locations are set up by the caterer or planner.

wedding dresses said...

really interesting post ,thanks for your sharing.

Barn Weddingd said...

That's a good idea. They must be feed since we cannot have the wedding without those vendors, right?
By the way thanks for sharing. :D

John david said...

Wedding is a beautiful event, there have a more arrangements about vendors to come a reception for wish them.

Blogging tips